Saturday 30 April 2011

Types of poetry ♥


♥ Narrative:

Definition: telling stories in poems.

Example:
There was three kings into the east,
Three kings both great and high,
And they hae sworn a solemn oath
John Barleycorn should die.

♥ Ballads:

Definition: song or song like poem that tells a story. The story often about love, death and betrayal. They usually have regular, steady rhythm, and a simple pattern rhyme.

Example:
Oh the ocean waves may roll,
And the stormy winds may blow,
While we poor sailors go skipping aloft
And the land lubbers lay down below, below, below
And the land lubbers lay down below.

Epic:

Definition: long narrative poems, originally tells by someone. Epic tells about a heroes who embody the values of the culture recounting the tale.

Example:
By the shore of Gitchie Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
At the doorway of his wigwam,
In the pleasant Summer morning,
Hiawatha stood and waited.

Lyric:

Definition: It usually doesn't tell a story but they express their feelings and personal thoughts of the poet or the speakers.

Example:
I heard a fly buzz when I died;
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air
Between the heaves of storm.

♥ Sonnets:

Definition: a specific types of lyric poem is always 14 lines long and usually has a particular meter.
Example:
Talking to myself there
Someone had overheard.
I was lost for a word.
There was nothing to share.
Embarrassed I was there.
Left awkward and absurd .
A broken wingless bird.
With nowhere to fly there.
Caught red faced there was I.
Didn't want to be seen.
I just wanted to die.
I just wanted to scream.
I'm so terribly shy.
Lost for words it would seem.

♥ Odes:

Definition: It's long, lyric poems were traditionally written to celebrate a famous person or lofty idea.
Example:

Fair flower of fifteen springs, that still

Art scarcely blossomed from the bud, Yet hast such store of evil will,
A heart so full of hardihood,
Seeking to hide in friendly wise
The mischief of your mocking eyes.

If you have pity, child, give o'er,

Give back the heart you stole from me,
Pirate, setting so little store
On this your captive from Love’s sea,
Holding his misery for gain,
And making pleasure of his pain.

Another, not so fair of face,

But far more pitiful than you,
Would take my heart, if of his grace,
My heart would give her of Love’s due;
And she shall have it, since I find
That you are cruel and unkind.

♥ Elegies:

Definition: a poem of mourning, usually for someone has died.
Example:
The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,
The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea,
The ploughman homeward plods his weary way,
And leaves the world to darkness and to me.

Free verse:

Definition: It isn't follow a regular meter or rhyme scheme, but it includes other elements of poetry like: rhythm, imagery, figures of speech, and alliteration.
Example:
My last night as a full-time child
I didn't want to sleep, for fear of
Waking up in a rustle of too-crisp sheets
And a creak of inadequate bedsprings
With a lightly snoring virtual stranger eight feet away.
And also I didn't want it to be tomorrow,
Because then it would be time to do what
I've denied for three weeks of subsistence
And oblivion--ignoring is bliss.
And I saw everything I never did
Lying around me, pieces and steps of the
Success I never got, reminders that
Whatever I planned, I never got far.
But in the middle of these broken promises
To myself, I could see for the first time
That I have not been broken.
And I must keep myself, all that is real,
As daybreak does, and nightfall.
I exist to others, but all I need is me.
I will be the last promise, when all is said
And kept.

Significance: There are many types of poetry in order to make the poem sounds better and more interesting for the reader. Every single reader has different choices and they can choose types of poetry that they like. The poet has to make sure that he/she can make many types of poetry to attract the reader instead of just a boring type of poetry.



No comments:

Post a Comment